New Testament Reminders Needed Today
Chapter three of the book of Titus begins with instructions for a preacher named Titus to “Remind them”. These instructions are needed today as much as in those days. What was it that Titus needed to remind Christians to do? What does the Bible say?
Titus 3:1-2 says, “Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people.”
- Be Submissive to Rulers and Authorities. We read of riots against the authorities but Christians are reminded to submit. (Romans 13:1-7)
- Be Obedient. Those who love the Lord will obey Him. (John 14:15)
- Be Ready for Every Good Work. We need to be reminded to do good and not grow weary. (Galatians 6:9-10)
- Speak Evil of No One. Words can harm, be careful. (James 3:1-12)
- Avoid Quarreling. It is out of character for a Christian to be quarrelsome. (2 Timothy 2:24)
- Be Gentle. James 3:17 reminds that God’s wisdom teaches all to be gentle.
- Show Courtesy Toward All People. Love is not rude.(1 Corinthians 13:4-5)
We can be forgetful concerning some of the fundamental ways in which God expects all people to behave. That is why we need reminders. We invite you to visit our services and be reminded of what the Bible says. “I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder” (2 Peter 1:13).